Saturday, March 18, 2017

Burn Unit


23 "When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. 24 “He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.”  1 Peter 2:23-24


     Three weeks ago I went to the children's burn unit ward of the hospital.  I have been praying and 
rching for ways to serve God in Bolivia that better suite my Spiritual Gifts.  God put it on my heart to contact Debbie Kenyon.  She suggested that I come with them once to the burn unit.  The first time I went I told her I don't handle blood or certain smells well, so if I feel sick I would just
excuse myself.  However, it was such a God send.  The hospital doesn't smell like chemical like the USA or unclean like I had imagined.  Deep down, I thought it would be like a war zone type of hospital.  However, it is very clean and we have to put on robes and hand sanitizer before entering.  After that, I was committed to go every week that I can until I leave.

     I do see a lot of open wounds, but that doesn't bother my stomach.  My heart goes out to their pain, but mostly I pray over what they will face once they leave the safe place of the hospital with other children who understand what they go through.  I pray over what they will go through when they return home which could be anywhere in the country because I believe this is the only burn unit in Bolivia.  I pray that the recovery which takes about two years is not too painful and that they will grow healthy skin back.  That it doesn't get too hard.  I have nothing but love in my heart for them.  Some of them, I want to take home with me.  However, that is not very practical.  I call these children my little angels.  They have shown me that I am stronger than I thought.  They have shown me such love and laughter.
 
    On less than good news, Toby, the guard dog for where I live died yesterday.  It is very sab because he was the sweetest dog in the world.  However, he was 15 years old and in pain.  It was time for his sake. 
Also attached is my favorite picture (only picture) of the whole tea group/ my friend family in Bolivia.

No comments:

Post a Comment